Monday 31 October 2011

MyFitnessPal.com

URL: http://www.myfitnesspal.com

I don't know how many will like this website/mobile app since it isn't a SW Food Diary, but I have used it for the first time today, and I havent kept a SW Food Diary for a good 5 or 6 months, but I'm really enjoying it. I can do it on my phone and its dead easy.

The main reason I have started using it is to keep my focus on what I'm eating. It's so much harder to pop that choclate in your mouth when you keepign a diary and being 100% honest with yourself! You become so much more accountable!

The another reason is it helps you be aware of how your Carbs, Proteins and Fats balance out. Now I know thats not much use for Red and Green Days, but as a ExtraEasy Man all the way, I'm liking how it is at least making me aware!

The another big reason is that it's making me calorie aware. Now I know SW doesn't do calories this way, but I took some very good advice from Neil Richardson, our current Man of the Year back in July. He would watch his calories, eg: he would have cauliflower curry instead of chicken curry because it had less calories but still tasted similar. Now I personally would LOVE to follow his lead and lose as fast as he has! So...Calorie meters on for me please!

One more reason is it helps keep me aware of calories in and out. I do a lot of exercise, and sometimes I find myself feeling a little dizzy and light headed when I have had a particularly "busy exercise" day. I know it's because I havent had enough calories (I know this seems opposite to my previous point, but it's all about getting the RIGHT BALANCE). I may have had my 3 meals, but sometimes those meals have been TOO LIGHT on calories and I find myself in negative calories for the day. And I don't mean negative to what I should have had, but I mean, actualy I have eaten 1300 calories, and burnt off 1800! Considering my body burns about 2500 to 2700 calories a day anyway, having -500 calories is definately NOT a good thing!

In todays example I have burnt 1065 calories JUST from my cycle this morning and eaten only 1428. That means I've had a net calorie intake of 363! :S That's simply not enough. As I sit here typing this, I have a headache....No wonder, I ate far too little today! If I want to lose 4 lbs this week, I need to have a net calorie intake of about 700 calories a day. 363 is half that! Not good!

If you start using this, please feel free to add me as a friend on it:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/valduane

Here's an example of my Food Diary for the day:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/valduane

No comments:

Post a Comment