Thursday 17 February 2011

Swimming

Last night we decided to kick off the exercise phase of my lose weight campaign with a family swim. Although I ended up not spending as much time with the boys and Kaydee as I normally would because I went off and started doing some lengths. An hour and 30 lengths later I was tired. I kind of mixed it up with some fast lengths and a break and then some slow lengths. During the breaks while I got my breath back I would try keeping my legs and arms moving to get some extra exercise. Near the end I could only do slow lengths. :p I'm not sure which is best, fast or slow, or if a mix is best. I see most people there doing slow lengths, but I like to do the fast lengths to get bit of a cardio work out too. Goodness only knows I need the cardio work out! If anyone knows which is best, please let me know.

After I was getting bored with the slow lengths, and because Keenen and Dylan looked like they we're having fun with the hoop throwing game they were playing, I decided to go join in. Once Jaycee saw I was over with the boys playing about, she came over and the inevitable "Crocodile Monster" game followed.....shortly followed by the boys getting more and more aggressive. It soon turned into a "Pile on Dad" game where I think the objective is to see how many of them I can pick up out of the water at the same time, and then see how long they can hang on to my arms. :D

After a good workout, we got home to supper, a beef and veg cottage pie. It was pretty good, though I'm not sure about this cauliflower and broccoli in a cottage pie thing.... :/

After dinner I put on some Heineken cup rugby (the things you will watch in the absence of Super Rugby....hehe actually I have been catching up on Leicester games this year, and it's a pretty high standard.), and fell sleep on the couch. The up side to that is I didn't eat a snack later last night.

Anyway, it was really good to get swimming again and i'm going to try get to the pool at least 3 times a week again. I can't wait to lose a bit more weight so I can go do some slightly more physical stuff. Oh hurry the day I can get on a volleyball court again and actually play the gaMe the way my mind wants to play it!

2 comments:

  1. I don t have any advice on fast and slow lengths, but just wanted to say I think you re doing great. I think the will power not to snack at night is the hardest thing, that is what I am trying to over come right now. Keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx Alison, though to be honest avoiding the late night snacking helps when you fall asleep on the couch! Hehe

    I have always struggled with eating at night! I always tried to justify it by the fact that I stay up till 1, 2 or even 3 am, 5 hours later than Karen, surely that's worth an extra meal?

    Now while on diet, it helps that i'm not skipping breakfast anymore. Some how eating in the mornings seems to make me less hungry at night.

    Other than that it's pure willpower to eat fruit or leftover "free meals" or at the very least a low Syn / low calorie snack. This must be at least similar to how a drug addict must feel. Fatty snacks = legal cocaine?

    ReplyDelete