Saturday 19 March 2011

Walking is going great!

This is kind of embarrassing to explain like this, but it was the highlight of my week "New Lifestyle"-wise.

A couple of months back, I really couldn't walk far at all, and the simplest little walks like to and fromt he doctor would be a huge effort. I would be huffing and buffing like made when I got there and by the time I got back my legs and/or back would be hurting, and I don't live very far from my doctor! the church is next door to the doctor, and I would never walk to church because by the time I got there I would have broken out in a sweat! Very very embarrassing, I know. But...

This is the 1 thing I am LOVING about the "diet" and the walking. I am becomign a normal person, slowly but surely! I can actually walk again without feeling like im dying! Walk to the doctor and back, no problem, walk to church and back...no problem. Every morning part of my conditioning I walk 500 meters. Now I know thats really isnt much. but trust me, that would have been an effort before. now, its easy.

Anyway, this week I had to get the car's light fixed while I was up in Leeds. The garage didn't take a card, and I had no cash on me, so I needed to get some cash from a ATM. The closest 1 was about a half a mile uphill into the city center. a few months ago, I would never have even considered to walk it. I would have left my phone with the garage and said Ill be back with t he cash and used the car to stop outside the bank. Not this week! While he was still fixing the lights, I walked into town, drew the cash and walked back, without the slightest back pain and no sore legs, not even out of breath!

It really is an embarassing level of fitness I have IMPROVED to, but it is an improvement, and it feels great! My focus of this "life style change" is shifting, from just losing weight, to WHY I'm losing weight, and also to getting fit! How did I let my body get like this? 17 years ago I would have walked for miles! I played Rugby 2 or 3 times a week, played Volleyball 3 or 4 times a week, even got up int he mornings to go play squash because it was the only time I could fit more sport in! Then played some kind of sport (atheletics, swimming, rugby, soccer, squash, tennis, gymnastics) in the afternoons as part of the degree (Human Movement Science) I was doing. I want to get to that sort of fitness again...or at least as close to it as possible!

It's cheesy to say.... But... "I FEEL ALIVE!"

3 comments: