Wednesday 30 March 2011

Target Weight Physical Challenge

This may well be putting the cart before the horse, and I know I have a long road to go, but I have started thinking I would like to set my self a MASSIVE challenge to Celebrate achieving my target weight.

Something that not only would I never have been able to accomplish in my current state, but also something that most people may never get to do in their lifetime.

Obviously losing the amount of weight I need to lose is a MASSIVE challenge all on it's own and my target weight is years away, but I just really want to set myself a "Bucket List" worthy physical Challenge to do if I make it!

So over the last 2 days, I have mentioned it to a couple people, specifically saying, "I wonder if I could train to swim the English Channel?" Obviously most laughed at the idea, and some suggested alternates like doing an Iron Man or running the London Marathon. Thinking tonight I came up with Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro too.

I know its way to early to start thinking seriously about something like this, but is 1 of those 4 even realistic? So I thought I would pose the question in a in the form of a POLL on my blog (Top Right) and let you guys vote to either bring me back to reality, or guide me to 1 of the 4.

Some details:

1. Swim the English Channel.  The English Channel is 34km (24mi) wide at the shortest point, from Dover to Cap Gris Nez and would take anywhere between 11 and 16 hours. Sea temp = 15°C. Risks: hypothermia, cramp, jellyfish, raw sewage, commercial ships, ferries, quick changing weather. Can rest, but can't touch a boat and have to exit the sea yourself to claim success.

2. Run the London Marathon. 42km (26mi) around the Thames, Blackheath to the Mall.

3. Do an Ironman Triathlon. 3.86km (2.4mi) Swim, 180km (112mi) Bike and 42km (26mi) Run, raced in that order and without a break. Strict time limit of 17 hours to complete the race, between 7AM and Midnight. Mandatory swim cut off = 2 hours 20 minutes, Bike cut off time = 5:30 PM, and all finishers must complete their marathon by midnight.

4. Climb Mount Kilimanjaro. At 5895m, Mt Kilimanjaro is Africa's highest peak. 6-7 day trip walking an average of 6hr/15km a day, except for the summit day which is 14hrs/27km up and down.

5. Shut up, be realistic and just focus on losing the weight! The 4 previous options were the outrageous late night ravings of a FAT madman! :P (Choosing this requires you to post a more realistic physical challenge in the comments.)

4 comments:

  1. 5! lol, just kidding, you can put your mind to anything you decide to do! ;-)
    1- I'd prefer you didn't do this one unless you seriously up your life insurance! lol even then it wouldn't be my first choice, living with the memory of you being chowed by a shark is not something I would relish!
    2- Not something that would appeal to me but we'd be there to cheer you on :-)
    3- I think this one is about the best, I might even join you in the swim and bike ride but you're on your own for the run! lol
    4- mmm again freaks me out a bit, watched too many movies where people die doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should go for the channel swim :) a)It would be kinder to the joints than any of the others!!!
    b)If you all did together you could save on the ferry fare to holiday in France :)
    c)Karen would enjoy rubbing you down with goose fat!!
    d)You would enjoy Karen rubbing you down with goose fat!!

    Keep up the good work Duane xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. No.5

    Realistic Suggestion:

    Work towards climbing Snowdon or Cycling between home and somewhere like Preston / London Temple, stay overnight and cycle back or a run / walk to the same place instead.

    You could do all three as your own personal triathlon but take 4/5 days to do it.

    Whatever it is - make sure you WANT to do it and will enjoy achieving it!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude... you know my feelings.
    We're born to run... ;)

    ReplyDelete