Sunday 17 April 2011

Book recommendation

My "virtual" voluntary Personal Trainer, Stephen Elliot, recommended a book to me, "to inspire me" to keep training and getting fit to run a marathon:

Ultramarathon Man: Confessions of an All-Night Runner by Dean Karneze

Wow! What a read! I won't spoil the book with a synopses, but I feel obliged to at least warn you the guy is a complete NUTCASE! No one should run like this guy, and I hope this obsession with losing weight and walking (working up to running) doesn't ever end in a few years with me putting my body through anything like this guy puts his body through.

However there are some great stories, written brilliantly; good humor and a hell of a lot of inspiration and good advice for any runner or anyone like me who is trying to get fit and change their lifestyle! I simply can't praise it enough. I finished it last night, and thinking of reading it again. :P Just so many good inspirational bits, I want to write down and keep somewhere to keep me focused like: "Run when you can, Walk if you have to, Crawl if you must - just don't give up!" Advice to be taken both literally and figuratively.

Maybe I will record them and play back to myself while I walk. Maybe I shoudl get Dan to read it, He has such a good recording voice!

2 comments:

  1. Not to mention projectile vomit in a company car! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone find a Clam in their shoe?

    ReplyDelete