Sunday 17 April 2011

On the topic of a Marathon...

On Friday, as Steve and I discussed our short and long term goals for me, my fitness and exercise, as a long term year or two, we had set our sights on the London Marathon (which is being run today) .... A SUNDAY! :( For religious reasons, Keeping the Sabbath day Holy, I don't exercise on a Sunday. Nor will I compete in a race on a Sunday. This is disappointing since, there is a big appeal to running the London Marathon. Steve had even committed to coming over and running it with me. But I will not compromise on my standards.

As a child I stopped playing baseball because all the matches moved to Sundays, Tournaments included Sundays and the provincial try-outs were on Sundays. I may have gone through a period of very poor standards in my late teens / early twenties, but being back to a good strong spiritual standard again, I'm not about to "dance with the devil" by doing sport on a Sunday, no matter the attraction of the event.

This meant we needed to find another marathon that was run on a Saturday. Steve found one that was PERFECT. Salt Lake City Marathon! (run yesterday) Obviously it would be on a Saturday! :D It means a lot further for me to travel, but would be perfect as a long term goal. I'm not 100% convinced that a year is enough time for me to lose the weight I feel I need to lose for a marathon, especially since I'm not able yet to start training for it as I've not even start running yet! So maybe its 2012 that I go run it, but having a long term goal is essential.

One of my short term goals is to participate in a local Fun Run, 5km, in June. Even if I walk a lot of the way, it should be achievable, and give me something to work on improving my pace for!

No comments:

Post a Comment